New SE model
The UNO is the cheapest and best value of the fantastic 4k range from Vu Plus and for me it’s the perfect choice of facilities and functions I want, with true quality of build.
The UNO has been around a while and this is the new SE ( strongly Enhanced ) model. It has the mini-screen in the front panel…
New SE model-Internal Hard Drive
and the rear HDD slot. So mounting your HDD inside is no longer a “lid off’ operation. the 2.5 inch HDD simply engages with a SATA socket, when closing the tray unit.
Unlike some Technomate receivers, with a similar idea, the UNO worked perfectly every time.
New SE model-Connections
If I am supplying, it comes with the twin tuner sX version for Multi-stream channels, other options are C and Terrestrial tuners.
Specification ( Twin Tuner fitted )
- 1,700 MHz ARM DualCore processor
- 4096 MB Flash (eMMC)
- 2048 MB of DDR3 DRAM
- Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000 Mbps)
- 2.4 “TFT LCD display
- 1x DVB Common-Interface slot
- 1x smartcard reader (Xcrypt)
- 2x USB 3.0 (back)
- Plug & Play removable frame for 2.5 “SATA HDDs (maximum 10.5mm HDD height)
- S / PDIF audio output optical (digital)
- 1x HDMI 2.0 video / audio output (digital)
- 1x HDMI 2.0 input (digital)
- unlimited channel list for TV and radio
- EPG (Electronic Program Guide) support
- Support of bouquet lists (favorites lists)
- OSD in many languages
- UI appearance versatile (skin support)
- Expandable with many free plugins (apps)
- automatic / manual channel search
- DiSEqC 1.0 / 1.1 / 1.2, USALS
- SCR / CSS (EN50494 & EN50607)
- External 12 volt power supply
- power switch
- RS232 – service interface
- Free apps available for iOS and Android
Review UNO in action
Few receivers are free of little niggles, things you just wish the designer had thought about, the UNO comes pretty close, I found nothing I would describe as a problem. The speed of image bootup is excellent, the ones I have installed have all been on the German or German and English channels from Astra 1 + 2. The image of choice is almost always Open Vix.
It is happy with a motor installation or multiple LNBs. (Unlike the current Zgemma, which is much cheaper than the UNO, don’t use a motor! It just does not work.)
The little front-mounted screen is a boon for installation and is informative when using the box, though I’m not sure if I’d need it on all the time.
The quality of build is superb and you don’t have to take the lid off to fit the HDD.
The external power unit is well designed, well capable of powering the unit and a motor. The modern high-frequency switching power units are a LOT more reliable than older ones, used in all sorts of makes and models, where the capacitors caused most of the breakdowns and mysterious problems in units over a couple of years old. As it is a 12-volt unit, it should also be ok to use in a caravan or camper.
The UNO 4k comes with a 2-year guarantee. ( see my terms for UG work )
If you use more than one receiver in the house, check out the remote facilities in Open Vix, you can operate the motor dish from the second box and stream to the second box via your home network. To do this with a motor dish with conventional cabling is actually quite difficult.
I use the PC program “Dreamset” to create, edit and transfer channel lists direct to the box via the home network. This works fine with all enigma boxes including the UNO. It is available from their website or my download page.